Monday, January 14, 2013

Highly Resolved


So I am pretending that January is just starting... I'll just have this month be a week or so shorter than last year.  Anyone else just starting up again? So, on with the new year! 



Growing up, we always ate black-eyed peas for luck on New Year's Day.  Weird, I know, but occasionally some of my Southern Roots peek through along with a "y'all" or two.  I suppose resolutions are the thing to do at the New Year.  That is a tradition I have not considered much; one can be highly resolved on something at any time, right?

For the month of January though, our church has begun memorizing scripture together at the beginning of the service.  What a terrific "start something new for the New Year"!  There are so many promises and instructions that are familiar, yet where to find them... I have a hard time with those locations!  (I love the AWANA program; it begins with the very youngest Cubbies memorizing scripture AND location!)  With our homeschooling, especially when the children were young, we included poetry memorization, Shakespeare quotes, and scripture memory.  We were not near as consistent as we should have been!   (I think I will take that subject & "how to" thoughts for an upcoming blog post - remind me if I forget!)  So for the new year, with our family at church, we will resolve to memorize some scripture together.  

Last week's verse (typed from memory, of course):
Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation, for the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.  Matt: 26:41

This week:
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Grace for the New Year ~ Grace for the Day...